One of the main challenges that people faces today is to stay fit in this fast lane life. While hitting the gym or running are great ways to stay fit but after some time you will be tired of them. And now you are looking for something more exciting and rigorous to work with.
Basketball as an alternative
It is one of the most popular sports in the modern world, and one can definitely stay fit by playing basketball. It doesn't require any extra equipment and investment. But as long as you have a nice pair of shoes and basketball you can train up to the best portable basketball hoop and enjoy the game. It provides the same benefit as that of a five-mile run or an hour spent in the gym. And is much lighter on your purse.
Advantages of playing Basketball
- Burns tones of calories: The game involves running, jumping and lateral movements which burn calories, between 650-900 depending on your physique. Also, it provides with the great amount of aerobic exercise.
- Provides great cardiovascular exercise: Depending on how much time you play and the breaks between subsequent quarters it keeps your heart rate up, thus more you play better your heart health and minimum chances of stroke and heart diseases at a later stage of life.
- Builds endurance: This is the 2nd fastest game after ice-hockey and requires its player to be in the continuous state of running, dribbling and other skills, gradually building up endurance in players as they get adapted to it. Thus provides a full body workout and can help develop useful, lean muscles.
- Develops bone and muscles strength: The physical demands of basketball involve weight bearing causing new bone tissue to form, thus making your bone stronger. Also during the game the muscles and bones tug and push against each other which increases their strength.
- Improves coordination and motor skills: The skills like dribbling provides and improves land and eye coordination, and that of rebounding improves full body coordination. While tapping and blocking improves your motor skills, the more you play better these skills get with time.
- Improves spatial awareness and concentration: While playing the game, you will become more aware of your surrounding and would focus on improvising during the game. Thus would be able to pass and dribble without looking. Playing regularly improves your concentration as you stay focused and try not to cause any penalties by breaking any rule. This also improves self-discipline.
- Well, there are countless other benefits of playing basketball such as it reduces stress, enhancing confidence or boosting the immune system and others.
Precautions to be taken
Well it’s a great game, but at the end of the day it remains contact sports and if you do not go slow in the beginning there are high chances of you getting injured. During the games avoid contacts with other players as you may get seriously hurt by the impact.